Ever thought of helping people, but not sure what you could do?
Do you enjoy spending time with older people?
Do you have a few hours a week to spare to help others?
Becoming a Safer Ageing volunteer may be just for you!
Hourglass Scotland is part of the well-established UK-wide charity, Hourglass (formerly Action on Elder Abuse), the only UK-wide charity dedicated to calling time on the harm, abuse and exploitation of older people. We’re dedicated to promoting safer ageing and a fairer society for all older people. We’re setting up an exciting new Community Hub, to provide comprehensive advice and support around the abuse of older people and safer ageing. The Hub will be available to older people, their loved ones, and anyone else concerned about an older person; providing immediate advice and support, as well as services to proactively help keep older people safe from harm, abuse and exploitation. We’re now recruiting a team of volunteers to help us deliver frontline support to older people and others. Volunteering roles We are developing a range of services and activities to promote safer ageing and stop abuse, incorporating prevention, recovery and resilience, including interest-based groups, social events, one-to-one support, and more. Volunteering roles include:
• Hosting or assisting with coffee mornings or social events
• Facilitating or assisting interest groups (e.g. crafts, photography, story-telling, local history, etc)
• raising awareness of the work of Hourglass & issues relating to safer ageing and the abuse of older people
• providing one-to-one support to an older person in their own home, a community setting or over the phone
• hosting information stands or pop-up clinics at community venues and events We are looking for people who are passionate about stopping abuse and empowering older people to live well and age safely; who understand the experience of and issues affecting older people; who can demonstrate empathy, patience, sensitivity and resilience; and who can listen and support non-judgementally. If you match this description, and are over 18 years of age, and can commit to an hour or more per week, we’d love to hear from you. Some roles may be home-based, and we will be working primarily in Fife initially. Are you interested?
Please contact us to find out when this opportunity takes place.
No details were provided about the training made available to volunteers. Please contact us to find out more.
Out of pocket expenses paid?
demonstrate commitment to Hourglass’s ethos of “Safer Ageing, Stopping Abuse”, demonstrate an understanding of the experiences of and issues affecting older people, reliable and able to commit to the agreed hours, as well as initial training, display patience, sensitivity, and resilience, can maintain confidentiality and deal appropriately with sensitive issues, have the ability to listen patiently and constructively, and provide advice and guidance in a non-judgemental manner
Restrictions on who can volunteer
No restrictions were specified.
No details were provided - contact us to find out more.
No, not for this opportunity.
Various, with an initial focus on Fife (some roles may be home-based).
This opportunity is compatible with the Saltire Awards for volunteers aged 12-25.
To enquire/register an interest in this opportunity call us (FVA) on 0800 389 6046, e-mail us, or fill out this form:
Find out more about volunteering
View our introduction to volunteering page or contact us to find out more -
our experts love helping people of all ages and backgrounds to become volunteers.
Register your opportunity
If you are an Organisation that would like your opportunity to be registered. You can do this by requesting a registration form here.
Help and Support
Call us to arrange an appointment
Give us a call on 0800 389 6046 to arrange an appointment to chat with our staff about what opportunities are available. Meetings can be arranged outside of the office in some cases.
Register with us
Fill out our registration form and a member of staff will then get in touch with you to discuss volunteering options to suit you.
If you volunteer or you're interested in volunteering then sign up for our free e-mail bulletin for volunteers - it only takes a few seconds. We send out bulletins roughly every two weeks and you can unsubscribe at any time.