supporting, developing and representing community groups,
voluntary organisations, social enterprises and volunteering
FVA supports new and existing third sector organisations that operate in Fife. We work with community groups, voluntary organisations, charities, social enterprises and individuals looking to set up a new organisation. Read on to find out about the range of support available.
Third sector organisations can contact FVA at any time to request information or support on just about anything! We have expertise and resources to help with most things, and can make referrals to external experts as required.
Some of the most common types of support we provide are on:
• Legal structures (including Company law and Charity law, including new 2023 updates);
• Governance (including Board and Committee responsibilities, and managing effective meetings);
• Community engagement and consultations;
• Community ownership/empowerment (understanding the Community Empowerment Act 2015, asset transfer, right to buy, leases, purchases;)
• Developing a business plan (including forecasting, cash flow, financial planning);
• Explaining social enterprise activity;
• Employing staff (including recruitment, employment law, terms and conditions, recruitment, grievances);
• Finance (including payroll, independent examinations, book-keeping);
• Funding, monitoring, evaluating and reporting (identify funding, applying, setting outcomes);
• Policies and procedures (including essential policy requirements, insurance, fair work first, safeguarding);
• Training and development;
• ICT and marketing (including social media, communication platforms);
• Administration support (including how to take minutes, photocopying, printing, meeting room hire etc.);
• Volunteering (including recruiting, training and supporting volunteers).
Almost all of the support we provide is free of charge. We provide crisis support and have done so many times in recent months, but we'd rather not - we'd rather help organisations at an earlier stage before things get too difficult. If you think something is wrong, or want to check something out before you do it then please contact us - it can save us all a lot of time and stress.